Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday's Film: Hair Pin Tutorial

I've had a request for a video showing how to make the hair pins that we use in several of our hairstyles.  They are very simple, very fast, and very affordable to make.  You will need some unused hairpins or bobby pins, a glue gun, & a flower/notion/ribbon for your focal point.
I told you there were easy!
Here's a finished product from the one I made on the video.
They are so fast to make that I was able to finish all of these in about 30 minutes.  I make sure to always have multiples of the same kind because I use all of them in certain hairstyles.  (I found these cute little knitted flowers on Etsy.com and they were super cheap.)
Here are some other examples of pins that I've made.  (You may recognize some from hairstyles we've posted.)  I just keep them in these little craft boxes from Walmart and they stay nice and organized.
Here are just a few of the hairstyles we've used these in:

The Rose Bowl

Baptism Picture Hair

No Go Without A Bow

Pot O' Gold

Double Layered Bun
As you can see, there are lots of ways to use them and they look great in adults as well as kids! 
Happy hair pin making!

5 comments:

C.M. said...

I absolutely love, love, love curlies and all sort of fancy hair pins because they just dress up even the most common hairstyles and just make you feel special. They can be expensive though and I will definitely try out to make them myself (though I'm not usually that crafty). If you have any other ideas to share on how to make other types or how to use them best or on what hairstyles (I have some that do not stay in well and tend to fall out when things get hectic, so I'd appreciate any help on that for example) I'd be really grateful. I also wonder at times whether you can change a hairstyle to a certain "theme" just by adding different hair curlies / pins. I mean, can the same ponytail look elegant with pearls, cute with flowers and boho like with... eh... something else ^-^. The thing is that these type of accessories are not commonly worn as everyday accessories in Germany (maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression that US moms / women in general just put more effort into their hair / hair of other people) so that "hair role models" are kind of rare. But it'd be a waste to only wear them on Weddings and stuff, wouldn't it? Anyway, thanks for the great video and everything. I adore your blog and check for updates on a daily basis.
Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Gotta try it

Maria Garcia said...

Do you have a favorite hair pin, by the way? What are the best occasions for wearing flower hair pins? Great blog!

Brooke said...

Thanks for showing us! Looks super easy.

Julie said...

My favorites are the rosettes and the mesh flowers. I don't really have a good reason but I seem to use those ones the most. I use mine most for fancier occasions like church, dance recitals, pictures, etc. but you couls really wear them anytime. I would love to recycle some used denim and make casual litle ones!